Last year on my birthday I published 45 life lessons. A year later I have decided to add a few more points and lessons learned. As I stated last year, I absolutely hate birthdays. I tend to go into complete meltdown and panic at the thought of being a year older. I think about all of the things I haven’t done or haven’t achieved and I think I will be tossed to the side because I’m “old”.
Anyway, here are some things I try to convince myself are true and some things I know for sure are true and having another birthday is a good time to re-visit them.
- Getting older is a good thing. The alternative is not being here for your next birthday.
- Regrets are a waste of time.
- Sometimes there is nothing better in life than sitting on a couch watching TV.
- Apostrophes matter, use them with care and kindness.
- Friendship is about quality over quantity.
- Always remove your make-up before you go to sleep.
- Love happens when you least expect it, often with the person you least expected.
- Try to be friendly with your siblings; they are the only people that truly understand your foundation.
- It is ok to be a nerd; we rule the world.
- Put down the damn camera / phone and enjoy a moment with your own eyes.
- Learn to listen; it is the hardest thing to do properly.
- Get involved with politics and pick a side.
- Look after your mental health.